Friday, March 4, 2011

My adventures in Raw Almond Milk

I have been reading up on raw food, and wanted to try making Almond Milk, have tried different brands of commercial almond milk and was curious to see what the home-made version tasted like. It is a little bit of a process but super easy, here it goes:

1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water 8-12hrs
Drain almonds, in food processor add 2-3 cups filtered water and blend till creamy and uniform.

Using a cheese cloth strain the mixture over a large bowl or pitcher, allow to strain till milk runs clear.




So after my milk finished straining, I looked at the remains of almonds called "almond pulp" and had to find a recipe to actually make something out of it. Throwing it away seemed like such a waste! And behold, after doing a Google search there are many things you can use this almond pulp...in smoothies, in banana bread batter, but I decided to try to make granola out of it. So I spread the almond pulp over a baking sheet and toasted it in the oven on 350F for about 15 min to dry it out. Mixed in whatever I had handy in my pantry: rolled oats, cranberries, and sunflower seeds (next time I will put shredded coconut and dried pineapples), and lots of honey and cinnamon. I put it back into the oven for another 30-40min until golden and dried out. The result....a great nutty granola....who knew??


No comments:

Post a Comment