Monday, February 28, 2011

Boring Yogurt Days OVER



First I would like to start with the YOGURT itself. I used to eat fat-free/low-fat flavored yogurt thinking I would win at calories and that its definetly more healthy for me but I was wrong. After reading my lastest nutrition/diet book (The Last 15 by Joey Shulman) it opened my eyes on how much hidden sugar we comsume! They recommened eating plain yogurt and adding your own fruit. Flavored yogurt contains about 27 grams of sugar per 6-ounce serving and 170 calories compared with plain, low-fat yogurt, which has around 110 calories and no added sugar. When we eat a continuous amount of sugar, everything from your Starbucks Frapp to ketchup, we put our bodies on a insulin rollercoaster ride. Insulin controlls your blood sugar and is released when you eat any type of sugar (even naturally occuring sugar from fruit, fructose). My favorite diet expert Jorge Cruise also recently wrote a book dedicated to avoiding access sugar, see the exerpt that I copied directly from his website and youtube videos below...he really brings home some great points!

But FIRST let me tell you of some interesting toppings to sprinkle on plain ol' yogurt. In the beginning, I felt like I was eating sour cream but after putting some blueberries, cinnamon & granola on it.....I was becoming a fan. Plus, I guess once my brain knows its healthy I start liking the food more just for that reason. I wanted to shed some light on other topping you can put on yogurt that you might have not otherwise tried.
Ground Flaxseed
Flaxseeds are high in alpha-linolenic acis, an essential fatty acid, AKA Omega 3. Flaxseeds help lower cholesterol, keep blood pressure in check, and even reduce cancer risk. I bought this book a few years ago: World's Healthiest Foods, quite interesting bc it gives you everything you need to know: nutritional facts, best storage, and ways to prepare the food to maximize nutrients of common foods we eat. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81#healthbenefits This is their blurp on flaxseeds.




Chia Seeds: My newest discovery
Cha-cha-cha chia...does anyone remember those plants that you water and watch it grow. I never thought those seeds were even edible! Little did I know that the chia seed is an excellent source of
fiber, packed with antioxidants, full of protein, loaded with vitamins
and minerals, and the richest known plant source of omega-(http://www.thechiaseed.com/) You thought the flax seed was great, well consider this a superstar! What I like about these seeds is that they had a little crunch without a wierd after-taste. With the flaxseeds, I had aquire a taste for them. You can add it to everything oatmeal, cereal, salads, smoothies, salsas, dips, muffin/pancake recipes, you get the idea.

Shelled Hemp Seeds
These seeds have a nice nutty taste, are a good source of protein and yet again heart healthy Omega 3. I always wondered if I would fail a drug test bc hemp is derived from Cannabis Sativa, marijuana's cousin. So a sprinkle, probably won't get me anywhere lol.

All these seeds have similar health benefits: they are cardioprotective, reduce imflammation, reduce cancer risk, manage weight, boast immunity, and the list goes on. So why not try one or all three?

COPIED straight from: http://thebellyfatcure.com/the-science-new/

What is The Belly Fat Cure?
The first thing you must awaken to is the truth about what causes belly fat and obesity, and it isn’t a failure to count calories or fat grams. It is critical you understand that the foods we eat are packed full of hidden sugars. The latest breakthrough research has proven that losing and gaining fat isn’t determined by how many calories you eat, but by the kind of calories you eat. That is why the focus of The Belly Fat Cure is about eating the right amount of sugar and carbohydrates to maximize fat loss while still satisfying your sweet tooth. The reason we single out the sugar and carbohydrates, not the calories and fat, all has to do with the science of a naturally occurring hormone we all have...insulin.
Why Insulin?
You may be thinking “I’m not diabetic, my insulin is fine!” or “I’ve always known it is bad to eat sugar, I hardly ever have candy!” That is where the breakthrough research about insulin and the huge amounts of hidden sugar in our everyday “healthy” foods comes into play. It is absolutely vital you know that insulin is the hormone that controls your bodies ability to push fat into fat cells, especially the dangerous fat tissue that accumulates around the midsection. Without lowering insulin levels, it is impossible to lose weight, regardless of calorie intake or exercise intensity

The Newest Breakthrough Science and Research
"Jorge Cruise gets it right by eliminating excessive sugar and processed carbohydrates.   His recipes make eating smart easy. I recommend them highly."
--Andrew Weil, M.D., Director of the Arizona Center for Integrative medicine, University of Arizona, and author of Why Our Health Matters
 

Watch these very useful video interviews with my dear friends Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Andrew Weil:




  

1 comment: