Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

I was at the grocery store and there were blueberries on sale. I am usually pretty skeptical about buying any type of berries in the winter months because they usually taste like 'blah', but as I looked at them they were so big and juicy, plus I miss the sweet taste of fresh blueberries...and I was suckered into buying them. Took them home, washed them, and ate the whole pint :) Delicious! Went back to the grocery store and bought 3 more! Decided I wanted to bake something with blueberries because I was having some friends over, so I go on the search and find this great recipe for a cream cheese type blueberry coffee cake.....it was a hit.

The website I usually use as a search engine for healthy recipes is http://www.myrecipes.com/
They compile a bunch of different recipes from different cooking magazines, mostly from Cooking Light; which is by far my most favorite cooking magazine. I have had a subscription for the past 6 years?
Be cautious of the recipes from Sunset Magazine because they usually call for a cup of butter or heavy cream. And of course after saying that, this recipe is from Sunset...lol. (But with only 1/2c. of butter which is still more than I usually use, but that is okay, the cake was worth it).
Here is the link to the recipe:

I made Chai Lattes to go with it. Technically you are supposed to use this recipe with a slow cooker allowing all the flavors to mix and set in. However, I was pressed for time and let it simmer in a saucepan for about an hour. So here is the official recipe

2 quarts (8cups) water
8 bags black tea
1/2 cup sugar (less if you do not like it sweet)
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)
8 slices fresh ginger (i used ground ginger, sorry didn't measure it, but to added to taste)
1 cup 2% milk

1. Combine water, tea, sugar, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger in CROCK-POT slow cooker. Cover, cook on HIGH for 2-2.5 hrs.
2. Strain mixture; discard solids. (Tea may be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.)
3. Stir in milk just before serving. May be served warm or chilled. Makes 10 servings


3 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!!! Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so delcious, like somthing out of a Starbucks coffee shop! I am going to try that Chi latte recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog Oksana! So colourful and creative. I'm a follower :)

    ReplyDelete