Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ultimate Go-To Last Min. Meal



 Pesto Rosé Mushroom Chicken Pasta




This is so simple that I did not know if I should post of not, but maybe you are looking for that meal that you can put together in 20 min. or less, if you have all the ingredients ready to go. So here is what I have on hand when I know I am going to have an action-packed week ahead of me:

-grilled chicken
-sauteed mushroom
-marinara sauce
-reduced-fat Alfredo (Classico brand is a yummy one)
-pesto
-pasta
-2 garlic cloves (optional)

*Usually on Sundays I will grill off some extra chicken breast so I can easily add it to meals later in the week. I have a fantastic iron-cast grill pan that I use during the winter to get that grill taste.

*At Costco there are 2 lbs. cartons of portabella mushrooms, so I usually buy 3. Spend an hour slicing and sauteing them all. Then separating them into freezer bags in small portions. And then when a recipe calls for mushroom, it cuts down a lot of the leg work. And believe me, you would never have guessed they were frozen when eating the dish!

*I am a pesto lover, so I always have fresh pesto in my fridge. But you can also freeze pesto. Then when you are ready to use it, just chip away a chunk and throw it into your sauce and it will quickly defrost. Or pop it into the microwave for a few seconds.

*Bacon is optional, but this is also something I regularly freeze too. My favorite is the Applewood Smoked Bacon from Trader Joes. I separate the bacon into 3-4 slices, wrap in foil and freeze. We don't eat bacon often, I mostly add it to dishes/casseroles for a smoky flavor. A little bacon goes a long way!

So the recipe is really simple, depending on the size of your family:
Mix together the marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, pesto, mushrooms, & chicken. Heat till bubbling and all ingredients thoroughly heated. Add a clove of minced garlic for some authentic Italian flavor. Boil off some pasta. Then top with sauce and Parmesan cheese!

Ingredients from the freezer

Ingredients from the pantry and fridge
Oh bacon, why must you be so bad for us?
I place the browned bacon on a paper towel so that it absorbs the extra fat.

Mixing it all together:
Alfredo sauce, marinara, pesto, mushroom, bacon & grilled chicken

Bon Appétit...betcha didn't think you could get dinner on the table so fast.
 It pays to have a stocked freezer & pantry!


No comments:

Post a Comment