Friday, December 14, 2012

Cookie Xchange & Slow Cooker Lava Cake



I love the concept of a cookie exchange. Bake a couple dozen of the same cookie and then share the fruit of everyone's labor!! (In half the time of what it would have taken you to bake everything.)

In effort to get out of the house and meet new people, I jumped at my invitation to a book club in August, plus I consider myself a book worm. I had been in Cincinnati for almost 9 months and had oh...3 friends. Mind you I was figuring out this whole motherhood thing out and had my hands full at times. But after the routines & scheduling had kicked in with my daughter, I was ready for something else. PLUS my husband had never put my daughter to sleep at night because why would he if I was home!? So very happy to have this 'social' evening with these lovely ladies.

 Good food, great girls, and flowing conversations....what else do you need!???

We usually bring appetizers, finger food, dessert, etc.

picture taken directly from tasteofhome.com


For our cookie exchange  get together,  I brought slow cooker lava cake with candy cane ice cream (to be festive). Imagine...steaming lava cake with a minty cold ice cream melting over it....are you salivating yet? Because I know I am! It is so so easy to make and clean up was a cinch with my newly discovered slow-cooker liners. I read a review of the recipe and someone had recommended using a slow-cooker liner bc the cake really stick to the pot and then you need a chisel to get it clean afterwards.

3 main ingredients for the lava cake: devil's chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and lots of chocolate chips. And there can be so many different variations to it, if you let your imagination (or taste buds) run wild.

Change up the pudding: use vanilla, coffee-flavored, mint, etc.
Change up the choc. chips: use peanut butter chips, butterscotch, white chocolate, etc.

Had to include this bc its such a great invention, find it in the saran wrap/ ziploc bag section of your grocery store.


http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Chocolate-Lava-Cake <---link to the recipe, enjoy!!

The cookies that I brought were soft ginger molasses, I got the recipe from a blog, Bran Appetite, that I recently started following. She had a post up called "my top 6 holiday cookies", I do plan to give all of them a try, but one at a time ;) So far so good! I did sub butterscotch chips with Heath toffee chips.

http://www.branappetit.com/2012/11/27/my-top-6-holiday-cookies/

the girlies



"Its the most wonderful time of the year!"

No comments:

Post a Comment